Are You Experienced:
I'm going by the most common re-issue, which compiles all of the tracks on both the US and UK versions.
The album itself is a masterpiece of rock, and perhaps the most influential guitar album of all time. Mitch Mitchell almost matches the work of Mr. Hendrix himself, and on tracks like "Manic Depression" tops him. Not a weak song found here, and the sheer amount of perfect songs here is mind-boggling. This album's on "Fire". A+
Axis: Bold as Love:
It was a hard follow up, but Axis sounds in no way rushed, and the group wasn't try to stick with the same old formula. The sonically impressive "EXP" is great as an experimental piece, but I rarely find myself listening to it compared to the rest of the album. The songs get better when they slow it down, showing Hendrix was a rather good lyricist (he had a knack for catchy tripped out lyrics inspired by his dreams), and displays how gorgeous Noel's bass tone was. Falls a little short of the debut in consistency. A
Electric Ladyland:
If a bible about the guitar is ever made, this is the final days of the life of Jesus. I'm not counting "...And the Gods Made Love" as a complete song, since it segues straight into the fantastic "Have You Ever Been (To Electric Ladyland)". Not a weak or even a average song on the album. "Voodoo Chile" is one helluva jam, "1983...(A Merman I Should Turn To Be)" is a touchstone in psychedelic blues, and the final two tracks are about as good as music gets. "All Along the Watchtower" is one of the greatest covers ever recorded, and bests a Bob Dylan original. Consider the final song, "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)", to be the last supper. Too bad he died for our sins. I blame the Kenny G picking up the saxophone. A+
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment